Tuesday 19 July 2011

Activity: Baking.


Baking is something that has, I believe, always been part of my life. When I was little I used to love baking and making with my Mum in the kitchen, to the extent of which, for a long time, in later life, I ruled the roost and took over the cooking responsibilities reasonably often (my Mum didn't complain about this too much, so I must have been doing something right...). Although I love all types of cooking, to me, baking is the cat's pyjamas, whether it be sweet, savoury or sour- baking has a homliness, a heritage and a sense of satisfaction like no other.
Contrary to what most people believe, (in my case anyway) University living isn't all about parties, raves, clubbing and drinking...it's about BAKING, how I relax. Well, yes...I may be the only one.
So, here is the complication of my reasons and opinions as to why I think BAKING is good.

20 REASONS WHY I THINK BAKING IS GOOD


1. Baking is certainly the most homely form of cooking- it's the friendly, cuddly Grandma of oven-activities.


2. Sorry, I don't care what you say...baking cakes is a CRAFT.


3. Baking is completely therapeutic and takes you away from any troubles (believe me). Even if for a short while, it gives you the time to completely concentrate on something else.


4. Many great chefs have made a career out of baking. Can't be too shabby now, can it?


5. Baking can provide DELICIOUS results. Particularly, I find, if you disregard the recipe and go more than a little OTT on the sugar. Goodbye perfect dental hygiene record...


6. Paris, along with other factors, is largely famous for it's fine patisseries and boulangeries...and France has the largest tourist rate of any country in the world. Coincidence? I THINK NOT.


7. Baking, as a practice is completely versatile- you could bake one new item every day of your life...probably.


8. Baking, in general, can be a very affordable solution to the expense of high street prices, and, a lot more unique and heart-felt too!


9. The process in baking usually occur as such that the whole family can get involved...each assigned to a unique working station as part of the "production process".


10. Pastry chefs were working in the ROMAN times. This isn't any new-fangled nonsense, this profession has been carved from centuries of hard-work and precise craft.


11. Bakers have one of the most prized and respected professions- battling with long hours, recession, and, most notably, being an essential player in the war-effort in WWI and WWII.


12. Personally, I feel that when I'm baking my creativity is at it's peak- or, perhaps, it is just due to limited resources on a student budget...who knows, who knows...


13. Thanks for the demand of deliciously-baked goods, there are now bakery chains popping up here, there and everywhere: Patisserie Valerie, Cooplands, Greggs- perfect for whenever you need a bakery fix.


14. Baking whilst drunk is a whole new, amazing, wonderful experience. I dares you.


15. There is nothing more wonderful than the smell of a bakery first thing in the morning. Yum-myyyy.


16. Flapjack, cookies, cakes, bread...without baking-wonderment, these delicious treats would not be the delicious treats we know and love today.


17. Baking is a fun activity to do with children- if you can handle smeary chocolate faces/tables/doorframes, etc, it's a great way to pass the time and reap the rewards at the end!


18. Everybody knows that the best thing about a wedding is the cake. And without baking there would be no...caking.


19. Cakes are produced from the process of baking- and who doesn't like cake?


20. THE RESULTS. Nom nom nom nom nom.
20 FACTS ABOUT BAKING


1. Baking is the technique of prolonged cooking of food by dry heat acting by convection, and not by radiation, normally in an oven, but also in hot ashes, or on hot stones.


2. It is primarily used for the preparation of bread, cakes, pastries and pies, tarts, quiches, cookies and crackers.


3. Such items are sometimes referred to as "baked goods," and are sold at a bakery.


4. A person who prepares baked goods as a profession is called a baker.


5. Many commercial ovens are provided with two heating elements: one for baking, using convection and conduction to heat the food, and one for broiling or grilling, heating mainly by radiation. Meat may also be baked, but this is usually reserved for meatloaf, smaller cuts of whole meats, and whole meats that contain stuffing or coating such as breadcrumbs or buttermilk batter; larger cuts prepared without stuffing or coating are more often roasted, a similar process, using higher temperatures and shorter cooking times.


6. Baking can sometimes be combined with grilling to produce a hybrid barbecue variant, by using both methods simultaneously or one before the other, cooking twice.


7. Baking is connected to barbecuing because the concept of the masonry oven is similar to that of a smoke pit.


8. The baking process does not require any fat to be used to cook in an oven.


9. The dry heat of baking changes the form of starches in the food and causes its outer surfaces to brown, giving it an attractive appearance and taste.

10. Some foods are surrounded with moisture during baking by placing a small amount of liquid (such as water or broth) in the bottom of a closed pan, and letting it steam up around the food, a method commonly known as braising or slow baking.


11. When baking, consideration must be given to the amount of fat that is contained in the food item. Higher levels of fat such as margarine, butter or vegetable shortening will cause an item to spread out during the baking process.


12. With the passage of time breads harden; they become stale. This is not primarily due to moisture being lost from the baked products, but more a reorganization of the way in which the water and starch are associated over time. This process is similar to recrystallization, and is promoted by storage at cool temperatures, such as in a domestic refrigerator.


13. In ancient history, the first evidence of baking occurred when humans took wild grass grains, soaked them in water, and mixed everything together, mashing it into a kind of broth-like paste.


14. Baking flourished in the Roman Empire. In about 300 BC, the pastry cook became an occupation for Romans (known as the pastillarium). This became a respected profession because pastries were considered decadent, and Romans loved festivity and celebration. Thus, pastries were often cooked especially for large banquets, and any pastry cook who could invent new types of tasty treats was highly prized.


15. Around 1 AD, there were more than three hundred pastry chefs in Rome, and Cato wrote about how they created all sorts of diverse foods, and flourished because of those foods.


16. Eventually, because of Rome, the art of baking became known throughout Europe, and eventually spread to the eastern parts of Asia.


17. Bakers often baked goods at home and then sold them in the streets. This scene was so common that Rembrandt illustrated a work that depicted a pastry chef selling pancakes in the streets of Germany, with children clamoring for a sample.


18. In London, pastry chefs sold their goods from handcarts. This developed into a system of delivery of baked goods to households, and demand increased greatly as a result.


19. In Paris, the first open-air café of baked goods was developed, and baking became an established art throughout the entire world.


20. The process of baking is also used for the preparation of baked potatoes, baked apples, baked beans, some casseroles and pasta dishes such as lasagna, and various other foods, such as the pretzel.

20 WORDS ASSOCIATED WITH BAKING


1. Oven
2. Cook
3. Ingredients
4. Mixture
5. Sweet
6. Savoury
7. Family
8. Heritage
9. Meals
10. Pastries
11. Cakes
12. Sponge
13. Victoria
14. Breads
15. Smell
16. Satisfaction
17. Macaroons
18. Tartlets
19. Pastry
20. Food


20 OPINIONS OF BAKING
(In response to the previously posted question 'Do you enjoy baking, and if so, what do you like the most about it?' by Abandoned Profile, via Yahoo Answers)


1. I do sometimes. I'm not a "genius" in the kitchen (spent too much time in College) but I will be very honest here: I buy the dough of Pillsbury and yes, then, I dare to "bake" something. I think I like the kids' face when they want to eat these cookies and can't because they are still too hot!- Limoncello, via Yahoo Answers.


2. I love baking. My young nephew put it very well after making his first batch of brownies. He held up his first brownie admiringly and examined it from every angle. He then said, "It's hard to believe I made this (the brownie) from some chocolate powder and eggs."

I love having recipes from my great-grandmother or aunt. I wonder how they got the recipe, what changes they made to it, what occasions the dish was served, etc.


It's rewarding for me to see what a little chocolate powder, eggs and few other choice ingredients turn out to be. In fact, it's downright amazing, when I think about it- trees75049, via Yahoo Answers.



3. I love baking. I actually bake quite often. it's very theraputic, and it really is an art. It conveys creativity and it can help with emotions- Kelsey, via Yahoo Answers.


4. I really do enjoy baking. Everything tastes so good, and I get a lot of compliments. I learned to bake when I was about 9 years old, back when people actually believed in cooking their own food- Rottie Mom, via Yahoo Answers.


5. Umm sure...:D, I guess so, but mostly people bake 4 me, they don't even let me wash the dishes, it can be a lil irritating sometimes, I wanna help 2...:(((- Nirvana veggie balls, via Yahoo Answers.


6. I enjoy not the actual baking, but the result, when somebody else likes what I did. that it the greatest joy - to make someone happy. :)- damaris, via Yahoo Answers.


7. I love baking!
The smell and mixing it together and putting it in the oven feels awesome- <3 c u p c a k e, via Yahoo Answers.



8. I love baking. I just like the fact that when it's done it looks so good, and it tastes good as well- Melissa, via Yahoo Answers.


9. Cakes muffins cookies tasting what i baked as soon as I can- Christina C, via Yahoo Answers. 


10. N uthan says luvin like somethin from the oven- Rolly, via Yahoo Answers.


11. great Idea I'll start some cinnamon rolls for tomorrow- ?, via Yahoo Answers.


12. Its just fun- ., via Yahoo Answers.


(In response to the previously posted question 'Poll: Do you enjoy baking?' by Anonymus, via Yahoo Answers)


13. Yes. Cakes and Cookies...- Q~Tie11, via Yahoo Answers.


14. I don't enjoy baking but I enjoy the result lol- Ashley, via Yahoo Answers.


15. Baking cakes is awesome :)- <3Anna Colbey<3, via Yahoo Answers.


16. I adore baking dear especially scones or a nice sponge cake- Never fear, nana's here!, via Yahoo Answers.


17. No, but I enjoy eating cakes- Kendoru, via Yahoo Answers.


18. Cuppy cakes and brownies :)- joc13, via Yahoo Answers.


19. Pies- Spazbot, via Yahoo Answers.


20. Ya! desserts mainly :)- Pretty in pink, via Yahoo Answers.

20 IMAGES OF BAKING


No comments:

Post a Comment